CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I am replying to this

***Waaaay before I became morbidly obese, I was an exercise addict - you can't get too much of a good thing LOL. Like I would go on these hour and a half runs and then force myself to stop out of fear that I might have to miss the next day's run if I overdid it. Golly, if a person is going to be addicted to something, let it be running!

Sadly I was in an accident and suffered major injuries which prevented all working out for several years, and every attempt to get back into shape met more injuries....

Now I'm morbidly obese. I don't make excuses for myself, but I do think you might have fogotten what it's like. If I try to exercise at this weight, my old injuries spring back in an instant (trust me, it's brought me to the physical therapist every time, sometimes unable to walk.) I bought a rower instead, and my old rotator cuff tear reared its head. My goal at this point, after the lap band, is to have my shoulder surgically repaired so I can exercise again. I miss it soooo much!

Also, when you're morbidly obese, you have too much insulin in your body, which drives down your blood sugar and causes your body to store more food as fat. My serum blood sugar has been tested at 50 two hours after a meal, when it should be elevated. Blood sugar should never drop below 70!

I'm sure this sounds like a load of excuses to you, but without the band, would you be where you are now? You say not, but read that magazine article about you - you did try for a year before getting banded. Now that you're thin enough to run, and thin enough that your metabolism is healthy and no longer hyperinsulinemic, you can run and exercise and don't crave garbage food all day.

I've spent the last four and a half years in a humiliating series of failed attempts to regain my health through diet and exercise. My hunger would overwhelm me at every attempt, and my injuries would prevent exercise. I hope and pray that the band will take off enough of my hunger to enable me to finally succeed.

Just be thankful, not judgmental!

Anyway, congrats on your success. I'm not criticizing you - just answering your question of whether I think you've forgotten. I hope that a few years after I get my band I, too, can forget what it was like to be morbidly obese!!! :o)

Anon
***






(Had a SUPER long post written out, but this sums it up)

We are all human. Like it or not we are all, in reality, on a level playing field.

It's up to *you* if you wanna play or not.

And no, I am not judging anyone. It's not my place. I can only judge my own actions, and for me to be accountable to myself I must be honest. I have just seen that people who take a good, honest self inventory have a better shot at making this work.


XOXO,
The chick who still has PCOS, a bad knee and at her highest weight, high blood pressure, chronic knee & hip issues and Type II Diabetes.

And for the record, I forget nothing. I have yet to forget my time as a teen mother. Just because I am not a teenager anymore, does that mean that I have forgotten what it was like? The struggles? The pain? The humiliation? The *true* judgement? No. It means I remember all too well, and have fought tooth and nail to get where I am today. I will do what it takes to get what I want. And I refuse to be apologetic for getting what I have worked hard for in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anon here. Dude, I have nothing but respect for you. No need to be apologetic - you've worked hard and accomplished a lot. I'm just saying not to judge morbidly obese people by saying they're just making excuses why they fail - unless, of course, you mean fail to get banded, etc. I'm just saying that doing it without WLS - I wouldn't judge them for failing.

P.S. You still have PCOS? That's sad. Did your other conditions improve?

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you've lost so much weight, and have kept it off for so long. You obviously have a great amount of emotional and physical strength.

I lost incredible amounts of weight before I had my band. I also gained incredible amounts of weight.

Everyone makes excuses for different reasons, and for different issues in their lives. People make choices, and do what they need to do in order to survive everyday. Not everyone who is morbidly obese is that way because of a conscious choice they've made; insisting that it's the truth will not change the truth.

Even though the most difficult part is over for you, try to imagine yourself in someone else's shoes - someone who is *entirely* different from you. Not just someone who is morbidly obese - Imagine for a moment, if you will, that you're a victim of sexual or physical abuse who eats for comfort, to lower the chances of anyone worthwhile being sexually attracted to you. When that comfort is taken away, panic sets in and takes away all thoughts of losing weight and being "happy".

The only thing that matters at that moment is the fear, and the need for comfort. Just imagine that, and see how easy it is for you to tell that person that they're just making up excuses. If you can still say that, when you know the whole story, then you truly are judgmental, and even a bit heartless. Surely it isn't that black and white for you, in your life. Why expect that it's any different for people struggling with similar, or very different, issues with weight?